Tuesday, October 2, 2012

18 miles is legit.

I really can't believe I finished 18 miles on Sunday.  It took....a really, really long time.  My thoughts on 18 miles is that this is pretty legit....not only because 18 is a really far way to run, but the pain that my body is feeling is pretty legitimate too.  How was I feeling when we started 18 miles?  Nervous...I had a few butterflies...but then as we hit mile 4, I realized that mentally, I just wasn't into this long run.  I had a headache from drinking one too many beers the day before at FedEx Stadium for the Virginia Tech game (and probably only had 4 total the entire afternoon/evening!) but clearly was dehydrated and overall felt really tired since I had been fighting off a cold for 10 days.   Not a good way to start 18 miles.  Brad & I also ran on a course that was new to me - starting at Shady Grove metro in Gaithersburg, MD, running to Lake Needwood (basically right near where I grew up), and then taking the Rock Creek trail from there to home in Kensington, and then 6 miles past home.  Yozzers - this was going to be far.


Lake Needwood - where it all  began.
The start of the run was a little rocky as we decided to hike through the woods to get to the head of the trail at Lake Needwood.  I wasn't very thrilled with this idea of hiking up and down hills and going in and out of branches and trying not to twist my ankle to get to the trail.  Really Brad?? I kept thinking.  Basically, just did not want to run at this point.  Thought about throwing in the towel.  Wouldn't it be nice to be laying on my couch with a cup of coffee right now, instead of doing this?  Knew I needed to mentally change my negativity and turn it into positive energy or I'd never make it.  As soon as we hit the Rock Creek trail I was finally in my element and my bad mood changed (thank God).  About 5 miles in, Brad's knees started hurting as they have doing lately when he slows down and runs at my speed.  He picked up the pace and I was left to run by myself.  This is actually something I've discovered over the past few long runs - I actually prefer running solo than running with other people.  I've learned that during long runs I become very much an introvert - I don't think I prefer to talk and chat it up, but instead enjoy listening to my own body and thinking my own thoughts without having to worry about another person.  My ideal long run is knowing that Brad is ahead of me so I'm not running entirely alone, but running at my own speed and being in my own little running bubble.

We got to our house at mile 12 and I knew a blister the size of about a quarter was developing on my right heel as my favorite pink running shoes are officially shot.  If I stopped to walk or stretch, my heel would start throbbing so I decided to keep running.  The long run involved very little walking.  Brad decided to go back home to get the pup, so Myko ran the last 6 miles with us on the trail.  I knew mentally I couldn't go home with Brad to get the dog or else I would never leave the house to finish the last 6.  So, about those last 6........so mentally challenging.  From mile 16-18 I'm not even sure I was a human.  I kept running faster and faster because anytime I slowed down, every.single.inch.of.my.body.felt.absoltely.terrible.  That being said, my body surprisingly kept going and going, but mentally I still am not sure how I'll be able to prepare for 8 more on race day.  This training has been such a mental game.


Favorite running companions. 
But, I did it....I feel so proud of this accomplishment.  I feel like I already crossed the finish line.  We still have 2 more longs runs to go, so I can't get too ahead of myself yet - only 4 more weeks but at lot more running between now and then.

Regarding pain....I can hardly put any weight on my left foot.  This time the pain is on the outer back part (near the heel) part of my foot, so I must have been underpronating, which basically is when impact forces are concentrated on the outer part of the foot.  Ouch, it hurts just thinking about how painful it is right now.  My knee is also in pain.  I'm supposed to be running 5 again tonight after work, and think I'm going to pass on this run and let these aches and pains go away for another day.
And last but not least...here is me as I finally stopped running after 18 miles...4 hours later.



I did it!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing so well! I remember during training, Ian would have no more than one drink the day before a long run. But you did it :)

    ReplyDelete