Friday, October 19, 2012

Let's just go ahead and kill this knee pain with some steroids.

TGIF!  I visited the orthopedic again this morning and asked for a cortisone shot.  The pain hasn't gone away (it hasn't gotten worse which is great, but has remained the same level of uncomfortableness over the past week).  I went into my appointment and the doc asked if I wanted additional oral anti-inflammatory drugs instead of the shot.  The answer? No! Let's just cut to the chase, inject this knee, and get rid of this pain!  Bottom line, I want this knee feeling better and close to 100% by next Sunday.  Giving me more oral meds just won't do the trick with such a short time frame until race day.  So the shot?  Didn't hurt so bad.  Apparently a common side effect is discomfort after the injection and increased pain 24 to 48 hours after being treated. This usually subsides quickly.  Right now my knee feels no different than it did this morning prior to injection.  Hopefully I don't say the same tomorrow or by the end of the weekend.  My goal:  To run 6-8 miles by Sunday.  Sure hope I can do it.

Other running tips the marathon doctor provided me with today:

  • Buy everything at the expo.  A shirt, a coat, a sticker.  Got to load up on MCM items as who knows if I'll ever do this again.  (I'm sure I'll at least buy one thing...I'm so freaking pumped for the expo!)
  • Run through the knee pain.
  • I'll feel like complete shit after the race.  Or maybe not.  But chances are, I'll feel like shit at least for 2-3 days after.  Everything will hurt.  
  • Try to run 3-4 days after the race to loosen up my muscles and joints.  Even if it hurts, go out and do it.
And last but not least...
  • Running 26.2 is like running to hell and back.
Cheers to the weekend and to a cortisone shot (aka my last resort for a painfree 26.2!)


2 comments:

  1. You will love MCM. It is incredibly well organized and a ton of fun. Most of the race has fabulous crowd support as well. I'd run it every year if it didn't mean training hard during a VA summer, which is not my thing. Just soak up all the awesome energy around you and enjoy being out there.

    I'm not sure when you are hitting the expo, but I should be working the Pacers running store booth on Friday from 10am-2pm.

    If you are looking for good beer, Mad Fox in Falls Church is my favorite brewpub. Great beer and really good food. If you can't get out that far, there are a number of good beer bars in Clarendon, which is just up the hill from the MCM finish line.

    Feel free to drop my a line with specific questions about either MCM or the area. My email is mcmmamaruns at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed you actually live in the area, so I'm sure you know the ins and outs of getting to/from the start and finish lines.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete