Sunday, October 21, 2012

T MINUS ONE WEEK!!!


HOLY CRAP.  It's exactly ONE WEEK from the big day.  This time next Sunday (if all goes well with the knee) I will have already crossed the finish line and run my heart out.  It was 4am this morning and I was wide awake...laid there for 2 hours and running was the only thing going through my mind (amongst a few other big things we have going on right now too...more on that later).  Mentally I was ready to get out of bed and do.this.race.  Had to remind myself I still have another week to go. :) Unfortunately the adrenaline was already pumping for two reasons - knowing that I'd wake up in exactly one week and be jumping out of my skin with excitement and also knowing that I was giving running another shot today after 2 weeks of rest.

Thankfully, I fell back asleep and as soon as I woke up I was ready to hit the trail.  This 2 week hiatus has been too long.  The orthopedist suggested I do 6 miles today as my training plan calls for 9.  Considering I haven't run since the 20 miler, I didn't want to over do it and worsen the inflammation.  At mile 2, the pain started and I was feeling beyond discouraged. (Pain was not nearly as bad as it has been been but still noticeable with a pinching feeling around my knee cap).  I took it easy, slowed down my pace, and walked a little.  Picked it back up and continued until I hit mi 6 and decided that was as far as I'd allow myself to run today.  Mentally, I would have loved to do 10-12 today so I can go into the race next week confidently but I have to take it easy. (Finding a compromise between knowing what I want to do and what I have is quite challenging..)

It felt AMAZING to get back on my favorite Capital Crescent trail in Bethesda and to breathe in the fresh fall air.  Even though it was a shorter run, as I was approaching mile 5 I felt like I was on top of the world all over again and got goosebumps just thinking about next week.  Yes, it still scares me to think that I'll be running straight for at least 5 hours next week.  However, there are certain things that I will and will not allow myself to think about when running long distance:  how many miles are left or how much time I've been running vs. how much time is left.  For me, the secret to getting through long runs is to break down the mileage into smaller increments - psychologically it's much easier that way so I don't psyche myself out. (For example after finishing 6 today I started thinking about how I will have to do 6 miles 4 more times during the race and then I scared the crap out of myself all over again).  

This week is going to be filled with so many emotions.  I know I've said this time and time again, but I can't believe my training is coming to an end and the countdown is at less than a week.  I'll be providing details later this week regarding how you can follow me via text and also updates on the knee improvement.  In the meantime, THANK YOU for following along as I take on this huge challenge and get closer and closer to running the Marine Corps Marathon!


Had to capture a picture of my last Sunday run before the BIG DAY.

4 comments:

  1. Cant wait to cheer you on next weekend!!!! SO PROUD OF YOU! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your first, and I hope it all goes well! I just did my first a little over a month ago and ran into knee trouble even though I had no issues while training. But even with the pain and walking, the 5 hours still went by pretty quickly. There were times when I questioned why I ever wanted to do a full, but the majority of the time it was just fun to be doing something I never thought I would. Just take it all in and enjoy it, regardless of what happens. It'll be over before you know it.

    Good luck and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! I appreciate your support! What marathon did you run? How were your knee issues post-race? I'm definitely hoping that the 5 hours go by quickly. I'm totally with you - I've questioned multiple times why I am doing this, and can't actually believe that I'm about to do this to my body and my mind....but I know it will be worth it.

      Thanks again for the comment!

      - Annie

      Delete
    2. It will totally be worth it!

      I ran the Air Force Marathon up at Wright-Patt.

      I've had various issues since I started running a couple years ago, but nothing with a name. Usually it was from training too hard too fast or from old shoes. During the race it was my patella tendon that acted up (which hasn't bothered me at all this year). Post-race I was really sore, and it wasn't limited to my knee... my whole legs were hurting. I was still pretty stiff for a couple days but it was pretty normal I think. It was maybe a week and a half before I ran again and didn't have any issues.

      There were definitely times when I thought that would be my one and only marathon, but I've already started thinking about my next. Not sure when, but I know I'll do another at some point. I don't know if that gives you any reassurance, but as bad as it may get it's still worth it I think.

      Here's my blog if you're interested in reading a little more about my training and race and stuff: http://lagerjogger.blogspot.com

      I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

      Delete