Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Running Randomness.

It was about 4 days since I ran so I decided to get back on the trail last evening after work and completed 5 miles without a problem.  I'm sniffling and tired at work today and debating doing an easy 3, but I think more rest is what I need.  I'm trying hard to do everything I can to get rid of this freakin' cold so I'm able to complete 18 miles this Sunday.

This blog is dedicated to random thoughts so because of that, I will be numbering my randomness:

1 - You can ask Brad, but I literally research everything.  If something is wrong, I google it.  If I need an immediate answer, I google it (I've also been referred to by friends as a google stalker.  Ask me to look up anyone or anything and I can give you any information you need to know).  So of course, what did I just look up?  Is running with a cold bad for you?  Of course answers on the internet are always biased and extreme one way or the other so, the answer?  Don't do it!  Anyway, while randomly researching other answers, I came across this article:  "What Happens If I Don't eat enough Carbohydrates?"  Well let me just tell you, this article made me laugh.  I am a lover of all carbs and never thought I'd see a day where I needed to worry about not eating enough carbs -- I've always had the problem of eating too many!  That being said, I've probably had about two different instances both happening on Tuesday mornings at work where I clearly didn't eat enough carbs/calories after a long run on Sunday and following the day after on Monday and my body felt it a few days later.

Some of the side effects of not eating enough carbs:
- headache
- dizziness
- severe lethargy

Yup.  I experienced all of those things at work.  I sat at my desk feeling terribly hungover and asked myself if I drank the night before.  Nope.  Hmmm...then why do I feel like I've been hit by a bus?  It really was the same awful feeling after partying the night before and forcing yourself to go to work the next morning.  There was one Monday that I had an event the day after a long run and I was on my feet all day and didn't have time to eat a complete meal, just snacking here and there.  By Tuesday my body was dyyyyying.   An egg and cheese everything bagel did the trick and from then on, I remembered to overload on carbs the day of and after a long run (clearly, a problem that would be easily fixed).

2 - I've been following MCM on FB and they keep putting up race countdowns...I think by now we're in the 30 days left mark, which is hard to believe.  They put up a FB status today that said there will be 12,000 first time marathoners running.  This is really awesome, and I'm looking forward to running with other first timers!

3 - We just got the new Mumford & Sons CD in the mail yesterday and I played it on my way to work this morning.  It ROCKS.  Mumford & Sons has been my saving grace through some long runs and they might be one of the only bands so far that can help me get a runners high.  New favorite song on the new CD:  I will wait for you.  Can't WAIT to play that song and get pumped up during the race!

4 - Last random thought:  I love everything pumpkin.  Who doesn't?  Today I indulged in Pumpkin Spice eggos for breakfast (it had been mayyyybe 10+ years since I tasted an eggo and they are just as good as I remember as a kid), and a pumpkin whoopie pie at lunch from the farmers  market at work.  <3 fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment