Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Butterflies

It's only Tuesday morning and I have a million butterflies thinking about 5 mornings from now.  I really have no idea how I'm gonna control my nerves on Sunday morning.  It's 10:15 as I type this...which means I should be a little less than half way through the marathon 5 days from now.  I always wondered how I would feel this close to the big day and now it's here.  I'm feeling a combination of scared, excited, worried about my knee, and confident that adrenaline will get me through the race.   I have found it to be pretty awesome that the first thing that most people who see me ask these days is how ready I am for the big day.  After describing to them how much I am looking forward to Sunday I think it takes only about 30 seconds before others pick up on my out-of-control excitement (and nervousness, too).  I can get carried away but I don't think that's a bad thing.

My in-laws are coming into town on Friday from Pittsburgh and it sounds like I will have a huge support system at the race - friends from work, college buddies, running friends, and my Dad who is flying home from FL to watch.  I am so excited about this - I know I wouldn't be able to get through 26.2 without these amazing spectators.  I need to figure out what I'm going to wear (weather depending) so I can tell everyone how to spot me.  

My knee hurts this morning but I'm not letting it get me down.  This week is all about focusing, eating a lot of protein and carbs (and apparently sugars are good for me too..SCORE!) and RESTING.  There's nothing I can do from this point forward.  I've taken a break from running, I've gotten a cortisone shot, and I'm giving it my everything to cross the finish line.

And last but not least, I had to share a part of an email that my brother sent me yesterday.  If you happen to know my brother you probably know that this type of message is quite out of character for Nick for many reasons.  Not because he doesn't care, but because he is the tough big brother.  The one thing I know about Nick, when you need his support in life, he is the first person you can depend on.  I don't think Nick could have hit the nail on the head any more than he did below.  Thank you to my brother for supporting me.  (ahh, wiping the tears now....)  But really, I hope I feel like a winner on Sunday as I line up at the starting line. It's not about getting the medal at the end (or the new awesome upgraded recovery jacket).  It's all about the amazing experience that it has been leading up to now.

I wanted to see how your knee was now that we are less than a week away. I've been trying to read your blog from time to time and I can say this: if you don't end up completing the race, I don't think it will be a wash. Part of the marathon training--a big part--is the experience leading up. And during that time you've pushed yourself, challenged yourself and already accomplished things you never thought possible this time last year. And you can take that confidence to the next race. Or the next big life goal. So race or no race...I am proud...and I am impressed!




No comments:

Post a Comment