Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Quadricep Tendonitis

Saw the sports medicine doc this morning and he diagnosed me with: Quadricep Tendonitis.

Some information he provided on this injury:

This is a very common injury for athletes, especially runners.   Quadricep tendonitis is inflammation of the quadriceps tendon.  The quadriceps tendon attaches the top of the kneecap (patella) to the quadriceps muscle in the front of the thigh.   Inflammation occurs anywhere along the course of the tendon, although the bottom of the kneecap is the most common place for inflammation (where all of my pain is located).  The pain is often worse just after waking in the morning or after sitting/inactivity for a prolonged period (yes, this is very true). 

The good news?  This isn't a serious injury.  It's mostly just a huge amount of inflammation in my  knee cap region and my knee basically saying "F&$ you" to me for running so much.

The doctor (being a marathoner himself) said he doesn't encourage marathon training plans that have you do several back-to-back long runs.  He said he prefers the "ping-pong method" which has you do a long run (16) then the following weekend a shorter run (7) then the next weekend another long run (18), then back down again and so on.  If I ever do another marathon, I will definitely try out this method instead as it seems like much less stress on your body (and your knees).

Does he think I have a chance at running the marathon in 3 weeks?  YES!!!! Wahoooooo!  Seriously, so relieved right now.  The x-rays came back fine.  Nothing major, just a common marathoner's injury.

Meanwhile, while trying to sit patiently in the waiting room anxiously awaiting the dr's diagnosis, I saw this posted hanging in the room:



The 7 stages of a Marathon (during the race):

1).  Ritual - I'm sure when I start the race it will feel just the same as starting just another long run (with a lot more excitement)
2).  Shock - Yes.  I'm sure I'll be shocked that the race is finally here after 16 long weeks of training.
3). Denial - "omigod, is this really happening?  How the F am I going to do 26 miles?"
4). Isolation - Leave me alone Brad!  I want to run alone! (yes, I've said this to him many a times on several on our long runs...)
5). Despair - Jesus there is no way I will be able to finish this....we're only at mile 17?! I can't do 9 more miles!
6).  Aftermath = I can't believe I finished.  Where's the beer!!!?!
7).  Reward - I will be so, so happy and proud.

2 comments:

  1. SO glad to hear it's nothing major. I hope with a bit of rest and TLC it will calm down enough so you are not in constant pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! New to running, finished my first 10k recently and registered for an epic half marathon in 3 weeks with an old friend. We are flying across the country to meet up. I just made a couple rookie mistakes on my 10 mile long run and have quad tendinitis. 3 weeks before race day! Hoping I can at least compete. How did your event go?

    ReplyDelete