Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ultimate deciding factor for signing up to run MCM.

I'm just a few weeks into marathon training and the big runs haven't even begun yet.  However, I am getting excited thinking about running a crazy amount of miles through DC during the fall, which is my favorite time of year.  I signed up for this marathon back in April and didn't think much about it all summer (pretty much told myself if I didn't think about it, maybe I wouldn't actually run it...he he).  But now that I'm using a training schedule and committing to doing this, it feels good and I'm motivated by the challenge!


I had been flirting with the idea of running a marathon over the past year or so, watching Brad train for the Pittsburgh, NYC, and Marine Corps Marathon over the past 2-3 years. I also read somewhere that only 1% of people in this world actually complete a marathon.  This inspired me.  Someone recently said to me, "there are 2 kinds of runners who do a marathon.  Those who run it and cross it off their list and never pick up their running shoes again, and those who cross that finish line with a total high and want to do more." I aspire to be the 2nd kind of runner, but unsure if my lifestyle will actually allow me to train for any additional marathons after this one.  I love all social activities, and in general tend to have a difficult time putting running before fun things like happy hours, dinners with family and friends or a quiet, relaxing night on the couch with my husband.  But just this once, I want to try it out and am committed to making running a priority.


Going back to this idea of the 2 types of runners, I also hope this experience doesn't make me hate running all-together.  I don't think it will. Generally, I can definitely be the competitive type and when I set my mind to something, I'm proud to say that I usually complete the task at hand. During my prior half-marathons and 10-milers, I've definitely been the type of runner who finished the race and craved to do more.  That's why I love running so much -- it's the accomplished & addictive feeling you get after finishing a race.  I cant imagine the victorious feeling I'll get after crossing this finish line.


So, back to what ultimately convinced me to sign up for this marathon.  Back in April Brad called me at work and said "Marine Corps registration just opened.  Sign up.  There are only a few hundred slots left."  He also informed me that I could either defer my entry a year, or sell the bib if I decided to not to do it (enough convincing there!) So, $100 later I decided just to sign up.  So I was...officially...a MCM participant....excited and apprehensive all at the same time.  The next question that went through my head -- how will I ever train for this?  You see, Brad is quite the fast runner if you don't know already.  He trains not only to finish, but for speed.  He does marathons in 3 hours and 20-some minutes.  I'm hoping to do mine in less than 5 hrs.  Clearly I wouldn't be able to train with him.  After lots of thinking and looking into different rigorous running groups around the area, Brad actually said he'd be willing to be my coach and train with me if I decided to go through with this.  Mr. Competitive Runner is willing to run SLOW with me?!  I couldn't pass it up.  I couldn't say no to that incentive :).  My in-laws laughed when I told them and said "you actually believe him, that he'll do this with you??"  I told them, it's a catch-22.  He doesn't train with me, then I don't run.  He wants me to do this as much as I want to, so we're definitely in it together.  


So, (at least for now) I'm really looking forward to it.  And I'm hoping that doesn't change.

No comments:

Post a Comment