Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mind Over Matter

I stole this image below off a friend's Facebook wall - I just love it.  So much of running is a mental game and convincing yourself that you can do it, even when your body doesn't want to.  I need to run after work, but do I want to?  No, not really.  My legs are tired.  But I know that when I hit the trail my mind will be what ultimately makes my legs go, and I know mind over matter is what will help me finish the MCM on race day.


Here's another quote from my marathon training website (marathonrookie.com) that I leave you with:  "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian


Just a little mid-day motivation to get through the afternoon....

No comments:

Post a Comment