Monday, July 30, 2012

Mussel Bar Brunch: 5+ Stars

Happy Monday morning, everyone!  Brad and I had a great 7-mile run yesterday on the Capital Crescent Trail.  Since we don't typically sleep in anymore, we planned to wake up early on Sunday morning and hit the trail in Bethesda by 8:30am so we could finish and grab a bite to eat when the restaurants opened at 10.  Well, I guess our bodies were telling us that we needed more sleep because we didn't wake up until after 9.  I was a little worried that we'd step outside and that it'd already be 100+ degrees but thankfully we lucked out and it wasn't too humid.  We hit the trail as soon as we hopped out of bed and threw on our running clothes and I'm pretty sure I wasn't even awake yet when we started our run.


Capital Crescent is a great trail.  We drove into Bethesda and ran 3.5 miles into the trail and another 3.5 miles back.  I love this particular trail because it's filled with so many other runners which definitely keeps you motivated.  I felt very strong the first half of the run but could definitely feel my legs getting tired on the way back.  The last mile of the 7 my legs started to feel like lead...but hey, we finished and that was an accomplishment!  This was the first long run that Brad and I did together.  I think my pace may have killed him just a bit (I could tell a few times he really wanted to sprint off and go at his own pace), but he was very good support and kept with me the whole time.

Taking a stretch break at mile 3.

During the last (hard) mile, I kept thinking about the delicious brunch that we would have as soon as the run was over.  One of our favorite restaurants in Bethesda is Mussel Bar, and we've only been there for happy hour (they have an incredible beer selection) and dinner (their mussels are our favorite!)  We have never been for brunch, but have heard great things.  Well let's just say I was blown away by their brunch and it may have been better than what I've ever eaten there for dinner.  I ordered their Wood Fired Tart, and it was basically a pizza with rosemary ham and a poached egg on top.  It was the perfect meal after a long run -- carbs and protein!   Brad was equally as pleased with his selection of the Huevos Eggs Ranchero which is spicy pork, peppers, onions on a grilled spinach tortilla.


I also ordered a very refreshing mimosa with fresh squeezed orange juice while Brad (no surprise here), ordered himself a nice cold IPA.  We had a great breakfast and we both decided we'd like to go back here again soon to try the rest of the brunch menu options!
With our delicious meals at Mussel Bar, feeling quite sweaty and tired after a run on Capital Crescent trail in Bethesda.
Following Mussel Bar we stopped at Georgetown Cupcake to pick up our *free* cupcake of the day, which was Lavender.  If you follow G'town Cupcake on Facebook they announce a secret cupcake flavor of the day and distribute 100-free cupcakes daily.  I'm pretty sure the people working there know us by now as the couple who only come into their store to get their free cupcake.

Well that sums up our first long run together.  Only 13 more long runs to go (not that I'm counting down or anything...)

I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment