Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Movin' on up (in mileage).

This past Sunday was a long run...14-miler, and I've put off writing this post because I don't even know how to explain how long and (towards the end), how incredibly difficult it was.  I've also been very busy at work now that the students are back on campus and fall semester is officially in full swing.  Marathon training + a very crazy work schedule + husband and I both in grad school should make for one busy fall.

The 14-miler.  Wow.  It took forever.  Our entire morning was essentially running and the afternoon was all recovery. Whenever I finish a long run I always wonder how I'll actually be able to add on {insert extra mileage here} to complete 26 miles by the end of October.  But the more I talk to people who have run marathons before, the more I realize I am gradually building up and adding more miles each week during my long runs than I thought I was capable.  It's true though, as I (barely) finished 14, I reminded myself of what a big accomplishment it really was and how just 3 weeks prior I didn't think I was capable of much past 10 miles.

14 miles is officially the longest I've run so far (as in ever, in my life...) :)  The longest race I've done is a half marathon and the most I trained for that was 12 miles, so I'm 2 miles beyond what I thought was possible!  Woo hoo!  Anyway, back to the long Sunday run.  Brad and I ran together and left our house and drove to the Grovesnor metro stop on the redline and left our car there.  We hopped on the Rock Creek trail and ran all the way on the trail to Dupont.  Our end reward was my 2 favorite things:  beer and delicious pizza at Paradiso. After we left Paradiso (and I was happily buzzed after 1 beer...can you say super dehydrated?!) we metro'ed back to our car, I took a bubble bath, popped a muscle relaxer (for my back) and crawled into bed for the rest of the afternoon.  A nice little Sunday with a day off of work the next day.  

Pizza Paradiso, Dupont
All and all, the run went pretty well.  It was mile 11-14 that seemed to last forever and particularly mile 13-14 that truly became a mental game as I was pretty confident my legs were going to give out from below me (likely the feeling I'll experience from 20-26???).  As we approached mile 13 we had to climb (walk) up a hill to get onto the bridge that we ran into Dupont Circle.  I literally couldn't walk as I attempted to make my way up this hill.  If Brad weren't there pulling me up I probably would have just sat on the hill and watched the world pass by until my legs stopped throbbing.  So, is this normal?  I have no idea, but according to Brad's insight, every long run is difficult for every runner going through marathon training.  I guess that makes me feel a little better.  I hope it gets better and feels a little easier each week because 14 certainly wasn't easy.  The great news is that today is only 3 days after running and I'm not sore at all.  I'm pretty sure this is a positive sign!

Celebrating the completion of 14!
Some randomness about the 14-miler:
  • A few times throughout the run we would see a large group of 30 runners also training for the Marine Corps.  Turns out they were part of the "First Time Marathon Beginners Run Club," and I told Brad that seeing people on the trail like that makes me feel so much more at ease and doesn't make me feel half as crazy when I know other people are sharing in the same experience.
  • New craving post-run:  As soon as we concluded the run there was only 1 thing I wanted and 1 thing that would make me feel energized.  A regular coke.  From a bottle, not a can, and not a fountain.  Clearly the sugar was calling my name.  The funny thing...I don't drink regular coke.  I rarely drink soda.  So it was a funny craving, as Gatorade or juice just wouldn't cut it. I chugged that bottle of coke so fast and in that moment there couldn't have been anything more amazing.
  • I bought a pack of these Keebler fudge stick cookies that you see in the picture below, as they were a favorite wafer cookie of mine growing up.  My mom used to put them in the fridge (she still does), so I bought them at the store this weekend and stuck mine in the fridge too.  I finished the whole pack of cookies in about 3 days (Brad does not have a sweet tooth...lucky him).  The afternoon after the run while I was in bed, I heard Brad in the kitchen.  I told him to bring me 5 cookies, and I ate all of them....and then I went back for more...and have had about 5-6 a day since then.  They are like crack to me right now (especially chilled from in the fridge).  My sweet tooth is out of control and I need to find a better way to help my carb cravings besides proceeded cookies and chocolate.
    One cookie left tonight....oops!
On that note, I will be wrapping up this post and heading to bed!  Somewhere between now and Sunday I need to squeeze in a 7 mile run and it's becoming more difficult after work with it getting darker sooner and my fall schedule filling up rather quickly.  Sunday will be a 16-miler for us, so I'll be writing about that very soon!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment