Sunday, August 5, 2012

Will run in ridiculous heat for sushi and dessert.

Today is our first morning of vacation in Rehoboth Beach, DE and we spent it running 8 miles.  Setting an alarm for 6:15 on your first morning of vacation and actually getting out of bed at that time isn't exactly what I would call ideal for vacation but once we finished it was worth it.  We are staying in a lovely home with Brad's family and by 7:00 this morning we were up eating breakfast and getting ready to head out for a long run on the Lewes bike trail.  My father-in-law joked and said this marathon training must have changed me as he can't remember the last time I was awake this early on vacation and motivated to run...let alone 8 miles.  I definitely do not disagree.
........and we're off

Lewes, DE trail
So about the run...it was hot...disgustingly hot.  Probably the hottest run that I've had yet during my training schedule.  The majority of the trail was shaded but it took almost a mile to get to the head, and by 7:30 the humidity had already kicked in.  I wasn't a happy runner today.  It was definitely not an enjoyable run and we paced at about an 11-mile mile (obviously not Brad's decision, lol).  The best part during the 8 miles were the breaks that we took and the nature we were able to enjoy along the way, including these adorable fawn that were only about 5 ft away from us.  
I started feeling a little tired at mile 6.5 and my lungs started hurting again (see last post).  Every time I breathed in I could feel a sharp pain, so I stopped and walked and then it'd feel better and go away.  The pain since this morning has subsided so I'm thinking it's probably muscular related and my lungs basically hating me.
 

So what was our motivation to keep going during this ridiculously hot and long run?  Knowing that we were burning off a ton of calories so we could PIG OUT at an amazing dinner at our favorite sushi place tonight.
 Every summer when we vacation with Brad's family we celebrate his sister's birthday at Stingray.  Everyone that goes to Stingray says it's the best sushi they've ever had.  They are known for this roll: HAIRY MEXICAN:  fried shrimp, avocado, spicy sauce inside, topped with crabstick + eel sauce.  We always order enough sushi for the table and then end up ordering more because it's that good.  Another tradition we have at Stingray is ordering 1 of very dessert on the menu.  When they bring all the desserts to the table we each have 1 in front of us, enjoy it for about 30 seconds, and then pass it on clockwise around the table so we get to try all of them.  I'm pretty sure I overcompensated for running today and ate my calories in sushi and dessert.  And that is why I run. :)


Family at Stingray.
We're back at the house laying on the couch full from dinner and about to go to bed at 10:00 after a hot but rewarding long run, delicious sushi, and endless dessert. Vacation at it's best.

2 comments:

  1. 8 miles on the first day of vacation?!?! At 6:15 am?!?! No joke- you guys are hardcore for sure! Nice job!!!
    Your description of stingray makes me want to take a drive down for the day just to try out this hairy Mexican you speak of- sounds mouthwateringly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ciani! :) I would absolutely recommend going to Stingray even if it's just for the day! :)

    ReplyDelete