Monday, August 27, 2012

2 hours and 20 minutes is a long run solo.

Yesterday was another long run (I skipped last week's 11-miler) so I wasn't quite sure how this 12-miler would feel.  It also didn't help that I drank mucho vino and cerveza the night prior and didn't wake up until after 10:00 on Sunday morning and it was a bit on the warm/humid side.  I got out of bed and did what I do best....procrastinate :).  Made some coffee, ate some oatmeal and a peach, turned on Sunday morning Meet the Press and pretty much did everything possible to avoid lacing up my tennies.  Around 11:15 I finally made it out of the house and drove into Bethesda.

I am *finally* going to write positively about running (woo hoo!)  Mostly this is because I have zero back pain today and I am so happy I accomplished 12 miles....SOLO!  Brad started an MBA program and had orientation all weekend.  I tried convincing some friends to run with me for at least part of the run, but no dice (really, who can blame them?!) So, out of options I had no choice but to do it alone so I hopped on my favorite Capital Crescent trail and ran 6 miles to Georgetown and 6 miles back.  I didn't walk the first 6 miles...I just kept going and going and didn't want to stop.  I was also freaking out about T-storms that the forecast was calling for and the skies were looking pretty dark.  Ironically after the 2 hours and 20 minutes it downpoured so talk about perfect timing!

I was thrilled that the run had some scenic views, which definitely made it more enjoyable and made me think less about the mileage and focus more on some of the sights.  Growing up in the DC area, there are still so many parts of the city I have yet to explore.  It was fun to run down the trail and find out where it would take me and where I'd end up.  I ran to the C&O Canal and was able to see the planes prepare for landing.  Each time I run on this trail I go further and further and am able to experience new views and sights - it is actually a very exciting part of training.  (It's the little things that count, right?)  






As I was hitting the home stretch with about 3 miles to go I looked down and saw this.  Speaking of little things, who knew that a little inspirational message on the trail could really make you feel so awesome?  Who cares that it wasn't for me, I pretended that someone was cheering me on and wanting to see me finish!
As I wrapped up the 12 miles the only thing in the world I was craving was a milkshake.  They say chocolate milk is one of the best recovery drinks, so what could be better than a Potbelly Oreo milkshake (and a fat sub for some protein and carbs).  As soon as I got home I made my way between the couch and bed for the rest of the day and boy did it feel lovely and rewarding.  Yes, it certainly was a long and lonely 2 hours and 20 minutes, but today I'm feeling nothing but great.


1 comment:

  1. nice job dude glad you're enjoying training. it is the little things ;)

    you'll enjoy the 20 milers to see some sites - plan it for seeing mucho DC. The bethesda-bethesda loop through georgetown is a good one. down capital crescent and back up rock creek

    ReplyDelete