Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tired 2 weeks AFTER a marathon?

Lately I've been feeling completely exhausted.   I know it  doesn't help that we ran the Marine Corps, packed up our house, settled on a new house, moved into the new house, adjusted to a new neighborhood and a new commute to work  all within 1 week of each other (jeez, just writing that makes me tired).   Pretty sure right now I am feeling the after effects of a very busy few weeks.   Every night after work I attempt to unpack at least 1 box, but I can't find the motivation and don't end up doing anything!   Last night my mom and I went out to dinner and our plan was to come home and unpack so I could feel productive at least one night this week, but we ended up laying on my bed looking online for things I need to purchase for the new place and then I crawled into bed and called it a night.  *sigh*  I have to remember that the house will get unpacked........eventually.  In the meantime, I can't get overwhelmed (although the boxes and clutteredness are slowly killing me).

Anyway, so back to my google problem in which I look up answers for every question I have in life.   After googling 'post marathon exhaustion' I found a post on Runner's World from a girl who  said she ran her first marathon and after a couple of weeks of complete rest, she went to the gym and found she couldn't handle any more than 10 minutes of cardiovascular exercise.  That is totally me right now!  The answer:  Running such a long way will have taken a fair toll on your body, and it will need between three and six weeks to fully recover.   And if you’re a bit low and directionless, running-wise, that’s normal too. For maybe six months your sole aim has been to run the marathon, and now you’re wondering ‘what’s next?’

YES!  Thank you, Runner's World for posting this answer that I've been searching for.  Lately I've been wondering why I've been so directionless when it comes to running and exercise - do I go out and do a short jog, do I run 4 miles, or do I listen to my body and just not run at all?  Apparently according to this answer, the way I'm feeling seems to be completely normal (phew!)   So basically, I deserve this rest and it's okay to be doing nothing after work (even if it means not unpacking and living out of boxes).  Glad that is confirmed.

On another, I can't believe we're approaching Thanksgiving and soon after that, Christmas!  This is always my favorite time of year and I can't believe it's here already.  This weekend is my 29th birthday and I'll be celebrating in Boston for the Virginia Tech/Boston College football game with my brother, and some great friends.  I'm really looking forward to it....now if I weren't so freaking exhausted I'd be much more excited!  

I know our life will slow down sooner or later....we have a lot going on between now and the end of the year.  I am so looking forward to the beginning of 2013 when we have nothing planned (I say that  now!) and we can focus on making our new abode a home, I can get out of my tired rut and we won't spend every weekend on the road or on a plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment