Thursday, November 8, 2012

Jeez do I miss training...

Uh.....what?   Did I just say I miss training for a marathon?   Yes, why yes I do....I  miss the accomplished feeling I had when I finished a 3, 4, or 6 mile run after work.  Now it's cold and dark when I leave in the evening and I know I don't have to run, so I pretty much don't.  I've been out 2x since the marathon and each time I ran less than 2 miles (lol).  The other morning I decided to run early in the morning and check out our new neighborhood.  Well after I went down a few streets and back,  I decided that was enough.  Just like that I headed back inside.  

I remember after Brad ran his first marathon, he definitely had the blues.  The first week after it was over and he wasn't supposed to run but rest...man was he grumpy!  He finally told me just like post-wedding blues, there is also post-marathon blues.   I certainly don't have the blues but I do miss feeling so in shape and feeling completely sore and knowing that it was a good sore.  I always knew that when I trained for the marathon I'd have the bar set so high in terms of fitness and health and pretty much would never feel as good as I did for those 16 weeks.  Well, that is certainly true....I'm starting to remind myself that I need to put a cookie back as I grab 4 out of the cabinet and remember...I'm not running a million miles anymore!

I really wish I had the motivation of my husband (for just about everything in life..)  but when it comes to running, I wish I had the drive to go out there and run 10 miles just because.  Instead, I always need something that is driving me, or an end goal in sight.  I guess that's why I need to just sign up for another race here soon... Did someone say something about catching the bug? (note: not another marathon!  just a half or 10K...)

Anyway, Brad and I have been busy this week unpacking our new home while trying to make it our own.  It certainly is a process, and we've been living out of boxes and suitcases all week!  I'm looking forward to putting it together and seeing the end result!  So far we are really happy with the neighborhood, our new commutes to work (just about the same for me....an amazing 12-minutes for B!), and the new neighbors we've met so far!  I feel so grateful to have found this neighborhood!

Finally, I found this little marathon thing that summarizes exactly how I felt the last 6.2 miles of marine corps....this couldn't be more accurate, as I often find myself reflecting back to those last 6 miles and despite the pain, I'm pretty sure I just zoned out entirely.  Although when I crossed the finish line and could barely walk....I knew I had become too tough to let all of the pain stop me from the happiness and cloud 9 that I was floating on. :)  I'll never forget that amazing day!


2 comments:

  1. Sooo are you signing up for another race? ;-) All kidding aside, you can still totally run and be proud of that and feel accomplished even if you're running less miles than during the height of marathon training. You don't need to bang out 10 miles to feel accomplished, you know? It's just a mindset shift -- something I've been taking to heart too since my own marathon. Running because I love it, because it makes me happy, but not 'running to run' or running because I feel like I have to in order to feel accomplished. I did/do have the post-marathon blues but shifting my mindset and refocusing how I approach my running now is really helping (and it's helping me NOT to jump right into another race quite yet...I'm not there yet, ha). I hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are completely right...and that is what I keep telling myself too...it's not about how much I'm running or how frequently...it's about getting out there and just.doing.it. It's amazing how much of a shift in mindset is needed after training for a marathon! I forget what it's like to run just for fun, and I need to get back to that. HA! No, not another marathon...at least not for a few more years! I am looking forward to training for spring half marathons though! What about you - any races lined up?

    ReplyDelete